Central Elementary: Ms. Cosgriff’s 5th Grade Immigration Project

The authors, cadets Joseph Murray (right) and Elizabeth Jackson (left) teach a lesson from the unit

Introduction to Fieldwork

In the curriculum of this course, Fieldwork (ERH-411W-01), we have worked individually and collaboratively to explore teaching in local schools. In preparation for this, we began by exploring learning philosophies as they have changed over the past few decades, specifically how education has evolved or is evolving from the time of John Dewey. In particular, we studied the changes that came as a result of a perceived need for a different classroom dynamic. This classroom dynamic became (or is becoming) something similar “expeditionary learning” or “project-based learning,” the focus of this foray into education.

Coleen Cosgriff (left) handles materials for use in a classroom project

Both of us, Joseph Murray and Elizabeth Jackson, had the opportunity to apply our new knowledge of learning philosophies in the field as partners at Central Elementary School in Lexington, Virginia. Our classroom was the fifth grade class of Ms. Coleen Cosgriff, an inspiring teacher who would later become the focus of our Classroom Portrait (below). After observing in the classroom for several days and developing an understanding of their current curriculum, we began work on a unit proposal for Ms. Cosgriff to consider for use in the classroom.

While observing and teaching in Ms. Cosgriff’s classroom, we both had similar impressions of the new teaching experience:

Murray, J.F.: When I first began interacting with the students in Ms. Cosgriff’s classroom, I was struck by their independence, expressiveness, and knowledge. In one instance, when Ms. Cosgriff was engaging with the class as a whole, students demonstrated knowledge of literary devices which I would not have expected from students until much later on in their development. By looking at these students in this new light, as independent and intelligent individuals, I developed a higher regard for their capabilities as a class and a deeper affection for the opportunity to teach them and interact with them. This all had a direct influence on us as we began to develop our unit proposal.

Jackson, E.L.: The first thing I noticed in Mrs. Cosgriff’s classroom was every inch of the wall was covered with artwork, rules and educational posters. As I walked around the classroom I felt like I was traveling around the world. There were different types of maps, a pet lizard in one corner, and molded bread taped to the walls. It intrigued me how interactive a fifth grade classroom was. On the first day we were instructed to simply observe the classroom, the different students in the class and how Mrs. Cosgriff interacts with them. I was initially surprised to see how Mrs. Cosgriff made sure to listen to everyone, even the hyper student who spoke out all the time. Similar to Joe, I was astonished how the students engaged in conversations with Mrs. Cosgriff with deep, independent thought. Our initial unit proposal shifted from believing we will have to hold their hand through an easy project to allowing more creativity on their part.

The students participate in the classroom activities while the authors observe (background).

Using these impressions from our introduction to Fieldwork, we began work on our unit proposal. However, perhaps more significant than the experience of writing the proposal was the experience of observing and working with an excellent teacher, Coleen Cosgriff.

Classroom Portrait:

This portrait was written in order to illustrate some of the influence of witnessing an excellent teacher at work, especially in an eclectic and unique classroom.

Rockbridge County Local Portrait: Mrs. Cosgriff, Central Elementary School

From the Outside:

Rockbridge County, nestled into the breadbasket of the Shenandoah in mid-western Virginia, is the home of a particularly inspired and forward-thinking public educational program. This program is, of course, driven by passionate and informed educators such as Coleen Cosgriff, a fifth-grade teacher at Central Elementary School in Lexington, Virginia. 

Cosgriff, the subject of this article, has the opportunity to teach a very special group of students. The location of Central Elementary School, just within the limits of quiet Lexington, draws an eclectic crowd of students. These students might be called “city kids,” though Lexington is not exactly a bustling metropolis, but these small-town residents commingle in the classrooms with a few students from the rural surrounding areas of Rockbridge. Consequently, the student body presents a mix of students with both rural and urban backgrounds (and resources), a combination found only in such tucked-away havens as the Shenandoah.

From the Inside:

ASCD Book: Project Based Teaching: How to Create Rigorous and ...

“Project Based Learning” by Suzie Boss, a textbook for the Fieldwork class and an example of Cosgriff’s technique.

Cosgriff approaches this diverse and unique teaching opportunity often by adopting a teaching style known as “project-based learning,” in which the instructor steps back and acts as a facilitator for the students’ owncreative thinking. Cosgriff responded to questions we posed to her in an email, saying, “I hope that when it comes time to plan their project[s] that they have a sense that I am stepping back and becoming a facilitator. I won’t have all the answers, but I will have some “tools” to offer. I will give them some ideas, but each class is going to have to decide what they do with their time.” In this way, somewhat out of the norms of traditional, more dictatorial teaching styles, Cosgriff hopes to unleash creativity and learning potential of each student in order to allow for their unique situations, thoughts, resources, and experiences to come forth into the classroom in a beautiful way.

A snapshot of the classroom depicting the class pet, a bearded dragon

This form of project-based learning is becoming more relevant in the thought surrounding education in the United States today. Coleen Cosgriff is leading the charge into a “hands-off” teaching style which may very well become the prevalent method of 21st century educators, all from her quiet station in Shenandoah.

Our Unit:

As the final product for our Fieldwork class, we developed two works relating to the unit we proposed for Ms. Cosgriff’s classroom: (1) A “Models of Excellence” brochure or card, and (2) our Final Unit Proposal document. Below is our “Models of Excellence” card, which gives a brief summary of the proposal and how it is valuable as a expeditionary unit:

Follow this link for a PDF version of the card: Card_Model_of_Excellence

This card, which is essentially an abstract of the unit proposal, is supplementary to the proposal, which is linked here for download and viewing:

Immigration and Literacy Proposal

Background of the Proposal

Ellis Island - Wikipedia

An image of the stations at Ellis Island the students were simulating (Wikipedia)

When developing this proposal, we wanted very much to incorporate the current unit in Ms. Cosgriff’s classroom: Immigration. While we were still observing and participating in class, the students embarked on a project of simulating the experience of Ellis Island in the early 20th century. Each student was put into a group whose task it was to run a specific “station” at Ellis Island (e.g. arrival and documentation, medical station, customs, etc.). The students were allowed to develop their station with little teacher assistance. Finally, locals from the community volunteered to come in and act as immigrants, who were then filtered through the stations of the simulated “Ellis Island.

We also wanted to incorporate some form of literacy, focusing on literary devices. When we heard that the students would soon be continuing their immigration unit by interviewing a local immigrant or family member, we saw the perfect opportunity. This proposal was designed to be supplemental to the ongoing curriculum of the students while still exploring new possibilities for literary expression and drawing on interview questions.

Activity Teach-In:

The authors teach a lesson from the unit in front of the fifth grade class

In order to conduct this unit remotely due to the closing of schools in Spring 2020, we participated with Fieldwork class in developing a “Teach In,” or teaching practice. We presented one lesson from our unit to the class, drawing on volunteers, asking questions, and thinking aloud as if we were delivering the lesson to the fifth grade class. In this lesson, we covered the basics of how to build a bio-poem from interview questions. We focused on helping the students ask the questions in order to form their interview questions to make translation into a bio-poem easy.

We also had the opportunity to deliver this lesson in front of the class before school closures, and we gave the bio-poem assignment to the students. However, because some time passed between our first lesson and our Teach In, we decided to take an opportunity to revisit the same lesson.

We then recorded a brief version of this lesson, along with dialogue and a PowerPoint, and sent the recording to Ms. Cosgriff in hopes that it would be possible to send to the students in order to continue the unit remotely.

Here is the 14-minute long recording which we made for distribution to Ms. Cosgriff’s class:

Additionally, find below links to the PowerPoint used for this Teach In and the bio-poem handout:

Think Aloud (Teach In) PowerPoint

BioPoem Handout

Final Journal Reflections:

Here are our final journal entries, reflecting on the experience in Fieldwork (ERH-411w-01):

Murray, J.F.:

As I look back on this semester in Fieldwork, I can certainly see different instances of academic development through the course of the class. In the first half of the semester, my development was based primarily around the fantastic experience of getting to teach in a classroom. Teaching a lesson in a Fifth-grade classroom opened up areas of development for me especially with regard to the use of rhetorical strategies to captivate the classroom. I found myself reflecting while I was in the classroom on some of my first classes at VMI, in which I learned basic rhetorical strategies. I employed those strategies, unwittingly first, to aid in keeping the attention and engagement of the class. For example, using the “Think Aloud” method of teaching strengthens the ethos of the teacher by allowing the class to think that they are witnessing authentic invention of ideas. That authenticity engages the class and pushes them to think on their own.

In the second half of the semester, after the transition to remote learning due to the COVID-19 pandemic, I saw another kind of academic development. I struggled to remain on top of the class in an environment in which I was no longer subject to a disciplined schedule or lifestyle. Academics in an unstructured environment were difficult for me, especially because I am used to the structure of VMI and the structure that I had in high school at an all-male military boarding school. However, being forced to maintain a disciplined academic schedule on my own became an enormous developmental experience for me. I realized that this is how most college students and all graduate-level students are compelled to conduct their work. Being able to maintain the discipline of VMI by my own means is a skill that I will have to learn if I am going to pursue education after VMI, which I would like to do.

So, my academic development this semester was both in (a) realizing and implementing knowledge from other classes within the English major at VMI and (b) developing my ability to conduct academic work outside of a regimented lifestyle.

Jackson, E.L.:

Reflecting back on the time and effort put into ERH – 411 with my partner Joe this semester, I can recognize growth academically, personally and civically. This class at first was a struggle academically but as I put more effort to better understand the readings and the PBL standards I was able to see how these standards were used not only in our own class through demonstrations but in Mrs. Cosgriff’s fifth grade class. Stepping into Mrs. Cosgriff’s classroom transported me back into time when I was in fifth grade. I forgot how engaging the classrooms are set up to be. Every inch of the classroom was covered with diverse academic material waiting for a student’s curiosity to overtake them. When I was first exploring the options of a potential “Teach Aloud” with Joe, we were speculating about how much leeway to give the fifth graders. Trying to think back to when I was in fifth grade, I didn’t give these students enough credit. Mrs. Cosgriff’s fifth grade class proven to be more engaging and creative than what I first anticipated. This allowed us more creativity with our teach aloud than originally.

As a soon to be 2nd Lt in the Marine Corps, I should be comfortable with speaking in front of others. But when I found myself in front of Mrs. Cosgriff’s classroom for the first time, I was anxious to even introduce myself. As we continued to venture back into the classroom and interact with the students more personally, my initial shyness soon washed away. Sadly, our time with Mrs. Cosgriff’s fifth grade class was cut short because of the COVID-19 pandemic. Completing this semester at home as a senior brought its own challenges. I struggled to stay on top of my schoolwork in this class and others. To find the motivation, especially when I don’t have the fifth graders to keep me accountable was hard.

I am very thankful to be have the opportunity to take this class my senior year at VMI. I fell in love with Rockbridge and found myself searching for ways to connect with the community. For my sophomore and junior year I was able to give back to the community as a firefighter at LFD. But this semester, I was able to learn from these students and have an impact, even a small one, on their educational journey.

Thank You:

We would like to express our gratitude to Ms. Cosgriff for allowing us to participate in her classroom and to use your class-time to teach our own lesson. The experience of observing, participating, and teaching in your classroom was invaluable to us in our personal, academic, and civic development. Thank you also for aiding us in conducting our unit remotely after school closures. Your consistent communication and charitable contribution of your time and attention made this a truly productive and edifying experience for us.

Additionally, we would like to thank Major Hodde, our professor, for her graciousness and diligence in helping us conduct this unit. You put an enormous amount of time into editing, communicating, and giving feedback to us in order to accomplish this, not to mention transporting us to Central Elementary School and making sure we arrived back on time every time. Thank you so much for the work you put into making this class an enriching, fun, and formative experience for all of us.

7 thoughts on “Central Elementary: Ms. Cosgriff’s 5th Grade Immigration Project

1. Glad you got in! So for our peer review on Tuesday, please post WORKING DRAFTS of your:

Classroom Portrait (Blog 6 will go here since its co-written)
    Model of Excellence Card with Final Unit Proposal

Your final, individual refections (Blog 7) will stay under regular blog posts, if that makes sense.
    MAJ Hodde

2. Joe and Liz, It’s looking really impressive! Your model card and layout for the page look polished and flow nicely. I appreciated seeing the quote from Ms. Cosgriff, and your sense of her presence as a model teacher.

A few thoughts:

Format: Underlining headings is kinda out-of style now. I would either bold or italicize instead.

Joe’s Content: The opening intro is engaging, but lacks some detail for me. Maybe Liz will play off what you’ve started? My thought is this–since you tend to focus on Ms. C, which I like, I wanted to hear more about your sense of how she engaged her students on that first day as growing individuals, trying out their voices (related to EL principles like student voice and choice, self-discovery)–I’m remembering Ms. Cosgriff’s comment about them learning to share their voice for the first time as 5th graders and your surprise at some of the exchanges during that visit.

Happy to discuss further via email-MAJ H

3. This is an a amazing page, the layout and organization it outstanding. I wanted to make to lay out of my teams page kind of like this. The video at the end was genius. You have a great page!

4. Good page I like how the images are on each side of the page alternating sides on the way down. This looks good and I like it. The material in it is good too.

5. Hey guys this is a fantastic page as far as layout and content i found your work to be comprehensive. not only does it seem like you have put a lot of work into the page itself but all along you were paying attention during your visits and it seems like you guys were able to foster (though short term) a real relationship with the teacher and students.
    One thing both of you talked about was how the teacher interacted with the students, paying attention to everyone in the room as if no one was being left behind. This reminded me of my experience with my teacher even though we went to the high school. my teacher much like yours was interested in leading discussions that would interest and engage everyone. i found this to be enjoyable as an observer and later when we participated more and i think you guys enjoyed it too from the well put together page you have here.

6. You both did a fantastic job and just reading this makes me want to go back and finish this project! With COVID, all of us have had to switch gears and work outside of our comfort zone, but you have really adapted well. I want to compliment you all for how quickly you had to learn to develop your teacher voice with my students! You came well prepared and effectively created and presented an engaging lesson for our 5th graders. Think about this: You both conducted my 2nd to last lesson with this year’s 5th graders! For some of them, that was their last day of 5th grade! We didn’t get closure on our year, but, thinking back on it, that’s a pretty great way to “end” their classroom learning. I know these experiences can leave lasting impressions and I hope you’ll consider teaching again in the future. Thank you for your time and your kind words… I truly enjoyed the experience!

7. I really enjoyed looking at this. your approach and everything you went about it is well. After looking at this I think about all the possible ways me and my partner could have approached the students you have opened up my eyes.