Career Perspective – General Motors

Written by Abdias Girardi ’18

Major: Mechanical Engineering

What is the title for your new position?  GPS TRACK Engineer with General Motors

How did you learn about this opportunity? LinkedIn

What can cadets expect in the hiring process?

An online application, initial phone interview, online test, and two-day interviewing process in the suburbs of Detroit. The first step was a phone interview with a HR recruiter; I was asked questions about my job preferences and behavioral-based questions. A few days later I was asked to take an online quiz. Finally, after a week or so, I was informed I had been selected to attend the final round of interviews in Michigan. I stayed in a hotel in Novi, which is about 30 minutes from the airport (DTW).The first night was relaxing since I did not have anything planned. The following day, I had a socializing dinner with GM engineers at the Technical Center. This was when I had the opportunity to talk about different job roles and get to know the engineers who would be interviewing me the next morning. The next morning I was taken to the Proving Grounds, where I had two one-hour interviews, followed by a tour of the facility. In the afternoon, I had the opportunity to test drive many cars to include Corvettes and Camaros and race in a closed circuit. The overall experience was incredible!

What advice would you give to cadets about researching this company?

Know the company’s main purpose, history, and latest vehicle models/technologies. Most importantly though, be enthusiastic about the automotive industry!

Learn more about Careers with GM, here: https://search-careers.gm.com/jobsatgm