Participatory Art

This blog post pertains to my class discussion on participatory art. Through leading the class in discussion and various activities, I learned that participatory art is essentially characterized as the relationship between the artist and other people. In this form of art, the artist attempts to get other people involved in the project, either through direct or indirect content.

For my discussion, I showed various Youtube videos on the subject. These videos provided the class with the basic background and function behind participatory art. I then led the class in a participatory art project, where each student was required to draw an image on the chalkboard that made them happy. At the end of class, we went around the room and each student described their image and the reasons behind drawing it. The entire evolution was evocative, fun, and full of knowledge. I truly think the entire class had fun and did learn the basic concept behind participatory art, which was my primary goal from the beginning.